Sunday, April 19, 2015

Cuban Sandwich


For me Latin food = comfort food. While i'm not Latina, I am lucky enough to live in an area where there is Latin food galore. From Cuban seafood restaurants to little stands selling Cuban stews and sandwiches by the road. I am enveloped in an environment where I can try the best of the best Latin foods.

A classic Cuban dish is the Cuban sandwich. Spanish pork, ham and melted swiss packed into a pressed sandwich. It doesn't get better than that.


Add in some tangy pickles and a dash of mustard and the sandwich is brought to a whole new level.

The mountains iViñales, Pinar Del Rio province, Cuba. Photo by Jon White Photography.
One day I would like to visit Cuba. Where I can see sprawling Caribbean vistas, from beaches to lush countryside.



For now, I will savor each bite of my Cuban sandwich. The taste alone will take me on a flavor trip to the tropical isle. 



Cuban Sandwich
Servings: 4 large sandwiches Time: 30 minutes Source: Inspired by Cuban cooking, I did not follow a set recipe.
Ingredients
4 slices Spanish roast pork 
4 slices deli ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 pieces of Cuban bread
butter
mustard
pickles

Step 1
Split the Cuban breads length wise to open them for the filling. 
Step 2
Layer on the Spanish roast pork, ham and Swiss cheese. Add pickles and mustard to your liking.
Step 3
In a non-stick pan add butter and bring to medium heat.
Step 4
Add each finished sandwich to the melted butter. Coat on both sides of the sandwich. Do not crowd the pan, you can do this in two batches.
Step 5
Using a heat-proof plate press down the sandwiches and add cans on top to weigh it down.
Step 6
Flip over the sandwich to repeat the press method on the other side.
Step 7
Repeat method with all sandwiches.
Step 8
Serve with mustard and pickles on the side.


No comments:

Post a Comment